Joyous Butterfly

Joyous Butterfly

Friday, March 2, 2012

Master's Oil Painting Class

starting point of  high lights and low lights
 Thought it would be fun to start showing you some of the techniques I'm learning...This was such a different experience for me.  I take classes at Milan Fine Art Studios in good ol' QC.  This was a 3 week class so you can see the first, second and third night progression.

It was fascinating to see me actually paint a real bird.  A true test of patience on my part because as you know I like a much looser brighter style.  Elli told me it would stretch my skills and that it did.  The first 2 weeks were great as it wasn't exacting.  The third proved to be harder for me probably more because I was painting from a picture.  I usually have a picture to reference but don't have any intention of making it
adding transparent colors
look realistic.

The second week we added transparent colors and mixed in white at the end. That was the magic.  It changed and brightened the painting so easily.  The third night we started adding the details.

The key to success is to keep trying new things!  It's so much fun...I'll show more paintings in progress because it is fun to see.  At least that's what my friends tell me.

I'll post the final painting soon...it's being fine tuned now.




adding white to brighten it up...details are next.

1 comment: